Rehearse

In Our Fully Equipped Rehearsal Rooms

Perform

In Our Fantastic Performance Venue

Record

In Our Digital Recording Studio

Music Lessons

Guitar and Drum Tuition at The Forum

P.A.T Testing

Available at The Forum

Enjoy

Classic and Cult Films at Darlington Film Club

Twitter

Mailing List

History

Our building is full of history, here are some brief points that we have found out so far, more to come as we dig deeper.

1871   

Original building completed (Entrance, Bar and Performance Lounge).

1879  

May 5th  Official opening of the building as Brunswick Street Board School. John Glover was the Head Master at the time. Elizabeth Carter Vasey was the School Mistress.

1887  

Additional wing built, facing Brunswick Street. This is now rehearsal rooms 1 and 2.

1891  

Borough Road built (this was built to access the school and later to join through to Freemans Place and Haughton Road).

1896  

March 25thJohn Glover left to work at Corporation Road School.

April 13thAbel Grundey the new Head Master started his post.

1902  

Abel Grundey is still Master of Brunswick Street Board School which is listed as having capacity for 240 children. Miss Alice Annie Richmond is Mistress of infants which has a capacity of 223 children.

1906  

April 12thThe school closed at noon for Easter”.

April 14th “Mr A. Grundey was killed in a trap accident at Bedale”.

April 23rd “School re-open after Easter Holidays. Alfred Hunter, first   assistant in this school, is appointed to take charge.”

1907  

July. Dr W.G.Grace the cricketer, widely regarded as being the most famous man in the country at the time visited the school.

1911  

Photograph taken in what is now the Performance Lounge featuring a Master and a Mistress and 40 Victorian school children.

March 3rd First mention of Alfred Young (Head)

1915  

February 12th – School renamed Borough Road School

1935  

Charles Thompson works at school for first time, then moved to Albert Hill, returning in 1946.

1943  

Admissions Register presented by W.J. Houghton to the Head Master dated 1st October, no name for Head Master.

1946  

Mr Charles Thompson appointed Head Master at Borough Road School.

1967  

Mr Charles Thompson retires after 21 years.

Building stands empty for a few years...

1974  

Up until 1974 Darlington Borough Council had control of Education, but due to Local Government reorganisation it became a Durham County function until 1997, when Darlington gained Unitary Authority status and took back the Education function locally.

1974  

Durham Music School opens. It was the ‘brainchild’ of Mr Pratt who was the Music Advisor for Darlington.

1997  

Darlington becomes a Unitary Authority.

1999  

The building is purchased by Darlington Borough Council from Durham County Council, leaving the future of the building in uncertainty. Alf Hind expressed his concerns in The Northern Echo, stating that the Borough Road Music Centre was used six days and five nights a week by numerous groups and choirs, including Darlington Big Band, Darlington Orchestra and Youth and Community Big Band.

2004  

The Forum Music Centre opens.

2011  

January. Humantics CIC take over the running of The Forum Music Centre.